On September 12, 1952, The Elementary School of the Lutheran Church of the Resurrection opened with an enrollment of forty-eight pupils. There was a Kindergarten, First and Second grade with two teachers. The plan of the congregation of Resurrection Lutheran Church was to expand its elementary school to eighth grade. Presently, Riviera Hall has Kindergarten through eighth grades and a preschool. What we currently know as Rygh Hall, our fellowship hall and named after Pastor Marvin Rygh, was the original church of the Resurrection.
The school began drawing in more children and in 1956 eight rooms plus a school office were added. The Rev. Robert Giles became the Minister of Education and principal of the elementary school. By 1958 there were 190 students, thirteen teachers, secretaries and of course a custodian. It wasn’t until 1967 that a preschool was in the planning stages. Kindergarten moved from half-day to a full day program. Before and after-school care was provided and the name of the school was changed to Riviera Hall Lutheran School with Pastor Elmer Johnson as the principal. In 1968 the preschool opened its doors with Phyllis Birch as the Director.
More than half a century later, Riviera Hall has over 230 students and a staff of thirty-five. The vision of Resurrection Lutheran Church is still shining brightly.